RARA is an open access workspace established in Clapton, London. We provide long and short term users with affordable space in which to carry out individual design practice, with a collaborative atmosphere.
We also take on projects as a collective – our mix of architects, academics, builders, artists, makers, writers, designers and more allows us a unique approach to a range of projects.
We try to run the space as a cooperative, which is an never ending journey of learning and 'delight'... if anyone has any tips on how to make small cooperative structures work well, we're trying to collect them, so get in touch! I'm really interested in how we can develop inclusive spaces and run them rooted within a community of practitioners. RARA is owned and run entirely by our members (well some of them) and we don't have any additional funding so all profits from space rental is put back into making the space run and be affordable.
Our aims are:
- To provide genuinely affordable workspace and equipment for creative projects
- To support our members in carrying out their practice
- To aid those seeking to transition from working for a larger organisation to self lead creative projects
- To enable those wishing to carry out creative projects alongside their day to day work
- To create a supportive and friendly network
- To be economically and ecologically sustainable